Coláiste an Chroí Naofa is a Catholic school of the Missionaries of the sacred Heart, under the trusteeship of Céist. It is inspired by the charisma of ‘bringing God’s love to all people’. It is dedicated to a Christian education. We aspire to the nurturing and growth of the individual in a pleasant working environment where:
- Each student and staff member is involved and individual talents are developed and enhanced;
- Parents and local community involvement is encouraged;
- True community is fostered through open communication and respect for each person;
- A strong Gaelic tradition (Irish language, culture and games) is recognised and encouraged;
- An atmosphere of spirituality prevails.
Coláiste an Chroí Naofa is located in the village of Carraig na bhFear approximately 12 kilometres North West of Cork city.
From 1909 until 1950 Sacred Heart College, Western Road in Cork City served the educational needs of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. In 1950 the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart purchased the site in Carraig na bhFear. The school served originally as a seminary and was a boarding school for boys. Since then, the College set in 300 acres of farm and woodland, has catered for the academic, spiritual, emotional, social, cultural and physical development of our students.
It has evolved into the present day co – educational voluntary secondary school attended by approximately 470 boys and girls.
Some dates of Note in the history of the College
- 1950: The College was established in Carraig na BhFear.
- 1952: The first time a class sat their leaving certificate.
- 1966: The first lay teacher arrived in the College.
- 1972: The doors opened to day pupils.
- 1987: The school became co-educational with the arrival of the first female students.
- 1993: The establishment of the first Board of Management.
- 1994: The establishment of the first Parents Association.
- 1995: The end of the boarding school dimension of the College.
- 1995: The appointment of the first lay principal.
- 1996: The end of the association of the Daughters of our Lady of the Sacred Heart with the College.
- 2000: The Missionaries of the Sacred Heart celebrate the 50th anniversary of their arrival in Carraig na bhFear.
- 2005: Coláiste an Chroí Naofa becomes a member of Céist the trustee body for the voluntary Catholic schools of the Daughters of Charity, The Presentation Sisters, the Sisters of the Christian Retreat, the Sisters of Mercy and the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart.